Thursday, June 19, 2014

Confessions of a College Senior Nerd!

Senior year : how the heck did that occur? While most of us picture the average Senior college student traveling for graduate school or job interviews. Taking last minute courses such as Yoga, Pilate's and "Underwater basket weaving". Well the truth is that is one big fat LIE.
The truth is Senior year at a college level is not like that at all. If you are anything like me you have left the toughest courses for the very last semester. You are currently swamped, overwhelmed, and consistently tired.

This semester has truly been the mother of all semester's. I am consistently arguing with my professors over one point just to have that dream G.P.A so I am able to get into the medical program of my choice. When I am not watching Pretty Little Liars on the treadmill and reading for my class the next day you can find me in the Library defending my two white boards full of chemical reaction's  by the window's from all the other nerdy kids who want them. 
Meanwhile all you carry with you is that anxiety in your heart with questioning all your choices you have made from day 1:  Will I graduate? Am I making the wrong choices? Did I choose the right internships?
The worst questions Will I able to get a good job with my chosen degree? Will I get into the graduate school's of my choice?

Be warned, I do not intend to scare anyone away, but I am being realistic. Now don't get me wrong, I do have day dreams about my perfect graduation dress, and my graduation photo's, and parties. In the mean time I just feel imminent doom until I march down that stage anxiously waiting to receive my hard earned degree's (there's 2).  The funniest thing is in my mind once I have that piece of paper in one hand I fantasize about the dream life I lope to have.. If only I had my B.S in Biology I could become a lead researcher at NIST in Boulder and buy that cute Mountain Home, wearing only Free People, and being able to binge on yoga because I can finally afford it. I was just telling my Fiancee about how if I had a job at NIST I could pay off my student loans and buy the most adorable of vintage cars. I am sure once I get there it won't be as I imagined but I cant help but be excited for all that is to come.